The Facilities and Beautification Committee has been formed to create a school, community and School District awareness of our campus needs and school enhancement opportunities. Our approach will take two very distinct tracks:
– Campus facilities, building upgrades, appurtenances, windows, enhancements, playgrounds, grass areas, etc.
– Site utilization, expansions, reprogramming the site and a joint use park design
- New IB Signs created and hung along the chain link fence surrounding the school. Design services and installation was headed by parent, Matt Hale.
- Ceramic Donor Tiles installed at the tree planters by the outdoor steps.
- Mosaic Tree Mural designed and installed at the corner of the auditorium building. The project was lead by artist, Rob Tobin and funded by private community donations through Donor’s Choose.
- Our Tree Pose Sculpture was repaired and new signage was added. The sculpture artist, Brennan Hubbel lead these efforts and signage donated by parent, Matt Hale
- A new Native Plant Garden was started on the slope by the entry ramp to the school yard. Plantings for this were donated by Marney & Eric Jensen and Theresa Talley)
- Getting our Joint Use Park concept approved by the North Park Recreation Council and moving forward to the San Diego Park and Recreation Board Approval
- Adding trees along Felton Ave. through Urban Corps – they provide the trees for free and plant them as long as you agree to water them. This would be in the R.O.W. area – NOT school property. http://www.urbancorpssd.org/FreeTree.pdf
- Adding 2 new trees where they were removed (and NOT replaced by SDUSD) by Mr. Kenyon’s classroom area – in the new building courtyard area
- Adding a Dale Chihuly inspired sculpture (or 2) created with painted plastic bottles – can be hung from a tree, these installations have been done elsewhere, namely the Del Mar Public Library
- New Mural on campus
- More Utility boxes painted!
- Expand Native Plant Garden, add interpretive signage
- Expanding the School Garden and Outdoor Classroom areas
- Creating more tiles to be installed (5th Grade Fundraising project?)
- Add more bike racks to the school grounds
- Makeover the Community Room – would love a volunteer with thrifty design style to head this up!
- Volunteer Weekend? Possible Oct. 25, 2014 – Make a Difference Day – http://makeadifferenceday.com/
- Adding more interesting stuff to the School Garden Area