So, you want to be involved here at McKinley? Great! Now the nitty, gritty details…The San Diego Unified School District created categories of volunteers and screening measures. Most of you will fall into Category B or C. For more information on these new screening requirements, visit http://www.sandi.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=709.
Category B volunteers are people who might work in the office and have very little exposure to students, or people who volunteer for a specific event, such as the Carnival or Variety Show. These volunteers have little to no direct contact with students, and are never unsupervised in their interactions with students. These volunteers must be checked against the California Department of Justice, Sexual Offender (Megan’s Law) website.
Category C volunteers are people such as Room Parents, volunteers who work with children in the classroom (reading groups, tutoring, etc.), and parents who plan to accompany children on field trips. While these volunteers still will not have unsupervised contact with children, their exposure to students is more extensive than Category B. These volunteers must submit to a criminal background check conducted by SDUSD School Police Services.
To summarize, the requirements to volunteer are as follows:
- Even if you have a Volunteer Application on file, you need to fill out a new application so you can be processed under the new screening requirements. The new policy is that volunteers will need to apply annually.
- You must be sponsored by a district employee. In the case of Room Parents, this will be the teacher for whom you are Room Parenting. For volunteers helping in the office, this will be one of the office staff. The sponsor needs to be indicated on the volunteer application.
- Complete the Volunteer Application (available in the office).
- Present Tuberculosis clearance.
- You can have the TB test done through the SDUSD (see here for locations and schedule: http://www.sandi.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=709) or you can use your healthcare provider.
- If you use your healthcare provider, bring the results to our school nurse, Candace Gyure, so she can sign off on the pink card. If you have the test administered somewhere else, she can read it on Tuesdays.
- TB test results are good for 4 years. So even though you have to fill out a new application, you do not need to be retested if you currently have TB clearance on file.
- Category C volunteers must complete the Background Check form (available here, or in the office: http://www.sandi.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=709).
- In rare cases, depending on the information returned, you may be asked to submit to LiveScan fingerprinting. More information will be given to you should this situation arise.
- If you are a district employee, all you need to do is put your name and ID number on the application and TB card.
- Return the Application, TB card (pink), and Criminal Background Check Request form (if needed) to the office.
Once you are cleared to volunteer, please make sure that you sign in on the sheet in the office and wear a volunteer badge.
If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please contact the office and speak to our volunteer coordination Maria Soto.