Sun Safety Week
This week is Sun Safety Week. We are doing something different every day to show we know how to protect ourselves from the sun. Please ask them about some of the things they have learned and try to practice good sun safety habits at home.
This curriculum will help us in our application for a grant to provide a shade structure for our playground. Each day your child shows they know how to protect themselves from the sun they will receive a raffle ticket, the winners will be announced the last day of school.
Students in the same grade level participate in fun games and activities on the playground. This event is organized by Coach for all grades each year.
Tuesday, June 4th
- Sun Safety: Hat Day
- K – 1st Grade Awards Assembly, 9:20 – 10:20 a.m.
- 2nd – 3rd Grade Awards Assembly, 10:30 – 11:20 a.m.
- Roosevelt Spring Orientation, 5:00 p.m. in the Roosevelt Auditorium. All new families are welcome! They will be discussing uniforms, class placements, and daily schedules. Parking is available on Zoo Drive and Upas Street. Spanish translation will be available.
Wednesday, June 5th
- Sun Safety: Wear Sunscreen and Reapply
- 1st Grade Field Trip to the San Diego Zoo
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Mission Bay Sports Center
- Field Day: Kindergarten, 10:00 a.m.
Thursday, June 6th
- Sun Safety: Wear other sun protective gear, i.e. Long shirt, umbrella, hat, sunscreen
- 4th & 5th Grade Awards Assembly, 9:30 – 10:45 a.m.
- Field Day: 1st Grade, 10:00 a.m.
Friday, June 7th
- Sun Safety: All protective gear!
- Field Day: 2nd Grade, 10:00 a.m.
- 5th Grade Picnic, 11:00 a.m. Morley Field, courtesy of The Invisible Chef, Maggie Pinon. (Parents are encouraged to arrive at 10:30 a.m. to help decorate and set up at the tables North of the frisbee golf course.)
- McKinley PTC End of Year Happy Hour, 5:00 – 7:30 p.m., Ritual Tavern, 4095 30th Street. Please join us as we celebrate another great school year on the back patio of Ritual Tavern. There will be non-hosted beer & wine.
May 23, 2013
5:00 – 5:30 p.m. 5th Grade Camp Meeting (Room B-23) Mandatory for parents with 5th graders going to camp.
5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Book Fair (Room B-23)
6:00 – 6:15 p.m. Welcome (on the back-top)
6:20 – 7:25 p.m. Classrooms are open – Student led presentations
6:20 – 7:25 p.m. 5th grade IB Exhibition (Auditorium)
Please be sure to visit the 5th graders’ IB Exhibitions; the final projects of their PYP years! This year’s students all took ‘action’ to support their chosen organizations. Thanks to all of you who have supported our FABULOUS FIFTH GRADERS!
As we are nearing the end of the year, there are many great activities planned. Don’t miss out!
- Scholastic Book Fair: This will be all week in Room B-23.
- DonorNation School Volunteer of the Year: Please vote for Jon Rogers! You can vote online or on via mail, but please vote by May 24th.
- IB Survey: Please complete the 12 question survey sent home last week (on pink paper). It is part of the IB required “self study” in which staff, students, and parents reflect on the effectiveness of our IB program. This needs to be returned by May 24th.
Wednesday, May 22nd
- 3rd Grade Field Trip to Torrey Pines
- GATE Distinguished Lecture Series for Parents: 7:00pm – 8:30pm at Eugene Brucker Education Center Auditorium, 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, CA 92103. ”Dr. Richard Cash – Success and The Achievement Mindset”.
Thursday, May 23rd
- 5th Grade Camp Meeting: 5:00pm in Room B-23 (Mandatory for parents with kids going to camp.)
- Open House & 5th Grade IB Exhibition: Thursday, May 23rd, 6:00pm – 7:30pm
Friday, May 24th
- Movies in the Park at Morley Field, Fri. May 17th, FREE, “The Rookie” begins at dusk
- North Park Festival of Arts, Sat. May 18th at University & 30th, 11:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- AYSO Soccer Registration at Morley Field, Sat. May 18th, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm.
- The New Children’s Museum, 50% off Museum Admission one day only, Sat. May 18th, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Also, don’t forget to sign up for 5th Grade camp. It will be at Camp Cuyamaca. Click here for details.
Also, be sure to Like us on Facebook.
The 2013 Staff Appreciation Luncheon was a success! A great big thank you to all who made the delicious (and beautiful) food items and arrangements. I think it really made our teachers and staff feel special. A special thanks to Elizabeth Newlin for organizing it! Click here for more photos.
Buona Forchetta will donate 20% of Thursday evening’s proceeds from patrons who bring in a McKinley Pizza Night flyer with purchase. This is the last pizza night of the school year. Don’t miss it!
Thursday, May 16th
3001 Beech St. in South Park
Phone: (619) 381-4844
Map to Buona Forchetta
Dine in or Take Out.
Must present flyer at time of purchase. Download flyer here.
Friday, May 10th
- 2nd Grade Field Trip to Legoland, 9:05 am
- Roots & Shoots, 3:45 pm
Saturday, May 11th
9:30am – Bike ride along Dana Point. Encourage Summer’s arrival with a bike ride around Mission Bay and through touristy Mission Beach boardwalk. Meet at the parking lot adjacent to Bahia Resort (998 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109) for the final excursion of the school year. YEAH SUMMER!!
The 5th Graders will have a bake sale after school today, 1:00 pm. This will benefit their 5th grade promotion activities. Please stop by.
There is a PTC meeting tonight, May 8th, at 6:15 pm in the Media Center. Child care will be provided in the auditorium.
This will be the last meeting of the year.
- Volunteer positions for next year
- After School Classes
- Open Board Position (see below)
McKinley Foundation Board Position Open
for 2013-14 & 2014-15
All funds raised by the McKinley PTC are overseen by the McKinley School Foundation, which is a 503(c) 3 non-profit organization.
Due to the move of Steve Cook to Los Angeles, the 5th
Seat on the McKinley Foundation Board is open for a 2-year term (all positions are a 2-year commitment) and nominations are being accepted through May 22. You can review a summary of the duties of each position on the McKinley website at http://mckinleyptc.com/ptc-committees
If you are interested in this position, please contact me no later than May 22
to submit your name. If more than one name is submitted, elections will take place before the end of the school year. You can contact me by replying to this email, (firstname.lastname@example.org